Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Cheers to my first wine tasting experience :)




We all have great senses of what we see and touch, but has anybody tried to sink through your thoughts to analyse the necessity or rather judge the fact that your day to day drinks and eatables have a far wider range, and you stand the very right to judge and decide whether you like it or hate it to the core. Well the fact is, mankind has always loved what he’s been doing and overtime luxurious needs especially wine, has just evolved to be a more fashionable drink than single malts and exotic cocktails. But still, you’re the master for your choices and keeping it simple and sexy is how you conquer your thirst.


Awesome, so let’s brain storm, when was the first time you gulped this liquid? It isn’t that hard, since technically, the legal drinking age in India is 21, unless you’re been drinking illegally which is not at all exceptional. To start with, let me pitch in my first wine tasting experience which was conducted for corporate selection and organized more formally (or maybe I thought it was so), anyways I wish I had inked my diary to record the date,  but I was very much a rookie in the beginning, and hardly bothered about anything but updating. There were almost 6-7 wines that was tasted, 4 reds, 2 whites and 1 rose. Now that’s like a nightmare for an amateur taster, unless you have a host like Mr. David Banford, who, unhesitatingly took us through the whole tasting procedure. When I tasted my first wine, I was shattered and disgusted on myself for I was the only chap who was wandering in the heaven to discover some fruits, especially those like citrus and peaches which is so common to you, but challenge to get the same from the wine. But to my surprise, people didn’t criticized me for throwing my first personal nuance which I got, banana (from a white wine), and they were like “Yeah, we do get bananas”, I heaved a sigh of relief and thanked my nose, mind and tasting buds and whoever involved in getting that word right. Later I remembered what the host had mentioned, “Nothing is right or wrong in wine tastings, it’s just your personal notes that matters, unless it’s deliberately a crap”.

The tasting followed to the whites and then reds. One thing which I just couldn’t realize till the end is why the hell on earth are the taster’s spitting what they have consumed and it was only until my last sip, when I got high, I realized, I overheard a small tasting guide that, you are supposed to spit the wine after swirling it in your palate. Nevertheless, I didn’t quite regret it much, for I was convinced with the fact that the wines were extremely relishing.

Having tried more than 500 wines in the last 3 years, and successfully completing WSET level 2, I must say that the journey has been super duper exciting, especially when you organize wine tasting or be a part of it, and people say, “Dude you unarguably have the best job in the world”, I feel relaxed and contented for there’s always a moral support that follows me.

I guess a lot has been narrated about my personal first time experience. Believe me, it’s not rocket science to understand wine, all you need is just a teaspoon of passion and love for this liquid, unless you’ve been forced to try it or you’ve been brain drained and want to import your foreign lifestyle where it is considered as an accompaniment with food.  Undoubtedly, we all, by sharing our views on this can bring some revolution in the Indian wine industry, because the more the people will read the more they’ll understand that it’s not yet another alcoholic drink but something which will make your eyes, nose and palate do the talking and finally savour your drinking experience. - Agnel Gilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment